Kyle Carter woke up in the middle of
the room that he'd grown used to over the last few months. After the other
day's escapade, he had been submitted to more forceful ways of talking. They
had wired something to the back of his neck, which generated electricity and
could attack anything in his body that was controlled by his Central Nervous
System. It was a little silver ball, not even the size of his pinkie finger
nail, which looked more like an earring pierced on a weird place than a torture
device.
The man in the white suit and the
blue rose - the only one he'd seen who wore a blue rose, so maybe blue was
important? - who had been interviewing him stared at him in anger. His eyes
were perfectly normal and crystal blue, instead of the evil full-black they had
been yesterday. If looks could kill, that look would be a machine gun and Kyle
would have lost a lot of blood.
"Your little incident yesterday
is very dangerous. You could've died, even if I hadn't set the trap," the
man said with a measured voice.
"Oh, really?" Kyle asked
sarcastically. The man calmly reached over and pressed a button on his chair's
arm. Kyle jolted and fell forward onto his face.
"I thought I told you not to
speak," the man said, standing up and pushing Kyle up back into his seat.
Kyle remained motionless, paralyzed from the neck down. His eyes watered up
from the pent up scream of pain.
"Now," the man continued,
sitting back down and smoothing out his white tuxedo jacket, "I'm going to
unfreeze you, and you're going to say nothing except tell me your story."
The man pressed another button. Kyle
gasped.
"Why don't you just tell me what
this is all about, you stupid bass-"
Kyle was cut off again, and lunged
out of his chair, back stiffening. He slumped onto his side on the floor,
breathing hard. The man pressed the button, and held it down, causing Kyle to
flap around on the ground like a fish out of water, spasming every second. The
man released the button.
"Speak."
Kyle looked up at him, angry, then
opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted.
"Choose your words carefully,
Carter. We don't want you to go into cardiac arrest from all this
discipline."
Kyle stood there among the crowd,
looking up at the glowing red eyes that filled the entire screen.
A man cried in some strange blubbery
language. Kyle's lanyard beeped, and translated to English. Several other
lanyards in the crowd did the same. "What do you want?" Came a
hundred small, tinny voices.
"What do I want?" The
audio-filtered deep voice repeated. "What I want is something very simple.
Control over the entire galaxy."
Another attendee shouted something
angrily. The rough English translation was "That's preposterous!"
"It's a big thing to want. But
it's my only request, and it's something you can give me pretty easily without
anyone getting hurt. Now, can anyone tell me why you're here?"
No one spoke up.
"Nobody? What a shame. I was
made aware that the entire reason for this convention was to draw up an
agreement between all representatives of all three parties."
Noises spouted from the black-shelled
man right next to Kyle.
"All three? But the third party
doesn't do anything!"
"Or, from both parties,"
the deep voice corrected himself. "Whatever. It doesn't matter. The point
I was trying to make was, you're all going to sign over your respective areas
of control over to me, or die. It's pretty simple, quick, and easy..." a
pause. The eyes looked away from the camera for a moment. "... you there!
Yes, you! Take the document downstairs to our prisoners and hand out some pens.
Right now. There's a good soldier."
The eyes turned back around to face
the convention-goers below.
"Remember: sign or die."
"Why shouldn't we think you're
bluffing?" Doctor Bradley shouted. Piott shot him a glare, and Bradley
sunk away. "I mean, uh, nevermind."
"No, no, I think you're making a
valid point, there, sir." The voice said. "I think I can prove it to
you."
Soldiers burst out of every door,
holding up guns and shouting. Everyone screamed. Bradley grabbed Piott, who
grabbed grabbed Kyle. "Stay with me, Kyle," Piott ordered. The
soldiers grabbed everyone and started hauling them outside. Thousands of silver
cylinders rose from the infinite ocean of sand, and people were shoved in.
Kyle, Piott, and Bradley were enclosed in one. It was hot and cramped inside,
the only source of light a mottled skylight above them, barely wide enough to
stick one's hand through, even if there wasn't a thick disc of glass in it.
There was a screeching of rusty gears
that sounded like a little girl screaming her lungs out, and the cylinder
started moving downward back into the ground. Sand soon covered up the glass
above them, enclosing them in darkness.
"Where did these things come
from?" Kyle asked, trying to touch the skylight, but it was a foot out of
his reach. He was already starting to feel sweaty.
"They used to keep prisoners in
here back during their intraplanetary wars..." Piott said with a sigh.
Below them, a fan started blowing,
and a small box crackled to life with white noise.
"Let's see here," the
familiar deep voice said, breathing. It hissed in the speakers. "You don't
believe me? I'm not joking around. And I'll kill someone to prove it."
On the box at their feet, a small
square lit up, burning everyone's eyes. It revealed an active volcano, seen
from directly above. Magma bubbled dangerously.
"Let's start with a lottery. I'm
going to pick someone at random, and if they aren't all that important, they'll
be sacrificed right in front of everyone's eyes," the voice said,
obviously entertained.
There was a creepy swishing noise.
"I'm literally going to draw the
name out of a hat. This'll be fun."
More swishing, then a hum. He was
humming The Old Glory Days, an Earth drinking song.
The crackle of paper slips scratching
as the winner was pulled out.
"And the winner is...
Earth!" Soldiers clapped sarcastically in the background.
"Well, this is
entertaining!" The voice said. “I’m native to Earth!”
Piott swore. “ – traitor.”
There was a rumble below
their feet, and the floor split like a camera lens opening. Everyone fell into
the blackness.

No comments:
Post a Comment
If you liked this chapter, share this site with your friends! Thanks for reading!