The room was full of bright light.
16-year-old Kyle Carter snorted and sat up on the cot. The first sign
that something was wrong was that he couldn’t remember where he was or why he’d
gotten there. The second sign was that he was in a grey t-shirt and jeans, both
soaking in blood.
“Kyle Carter. Age, sixteen. Year of origin, unknown,” said the man in
the white suit, speaking into a tiny microphone attached to the collar of his
white shirt, along with a blue rose on his lapel. Everyone here wore white
for some reason, along with sunglasses. Every room Kyle had been in was doused
with eye-burning white. In fact, he was the only person not wearing white. He
was wearing the same bloody grey t-shirt he’d found himself in when he first
woke up here. These people told him that they’d get used to the blinding light
shortly. That was a week ago.
One of the walls, the one he faced, was actually a giant mirror
panel.
“I told you idiots, I’m from 2445!”
“That’s impossible,” said the man in the white suit, waving the
subject away. “Anyway, we’ve given you and your friend, Commander Piott, a week
to adjust to the facility and to face your respective losses. It’s time to
start the interviews,” he added firmly. Then he fingered his microphone and
spoke into it. “Proceeding with subject.”
“The interview,” Kyle repeated, unsure if this was good.
“How are you doing today, Kyle?”
“Fine, I guess.”
“That’s good. Sleep well?”
“Not really. The lights turn on every time I open my eyes.”
“That sucks. Do you know why you’re here?”
“Did I do something bad?”
The man laughed as if to say how
quaint, then said, “That’s a bit more simply put than I’d like, but yes,
sort of.”
“Where is here, anyway? What is this place? And can I get some of
those sunglasses?”
“I can’t tell you that. And no, you can’t, I’m sorry. Anyway, I’d
like you to tell us what happened after Ulysses d –”
“Kenny. His name was Kenny.
Ulysses was someone else.”
“Yes, of course. I’m sorry, it must still be a sore subject with you.
We’ll go back a bit more. To the beginning of the trip to this conference you told us about.”
“Sure. Try not to hit your elbow on the shock button while going for
your High-Society-Man-is-Intrigued pose.
It hurts.”
“My bad. I told you I was sorry, Kyle.”
“No one cares. Anyway, it went like this…”
Along
with Commander Piott, Doctor Bradley, and Kenny, Kyle Carter boarded the ship
that had once belonged to ex-captain Amos. The CryoPods in the hangar had been
replaced with crates of weapons, armored wheel vehicles of all types, AV8Rs,
and huge aircraft. The Commander headed up to the bridge while Bradley and
Kenny ran off to play around with all the gadgets. But Kyle snuck off toward
the store room.
He
opened the door to the small room, no bigger than a walk-in closet, and a
feeling of nostalgia rose up inside of him. So, just for kicks and giggles, he
laid down on the floor next to the sustenance tank he’d arrived in. The floor
had been mopped up and all the tanks had been emptied and cleaned.
The nagging, that
insistence he’d felt the first time he’d laid down there, returned. He glanced
to his left, underneath the tank, and gasped. Kyle Carter stood up and shouted.
“COMMANDER PIOTT!”
Kyle went back down on his stomach. Laying there, between the glass
tank and the metal floor and next to the wide plastic tube where the fluid
went, was an old but crisp manila folder. Out of the side stuck the corner of a
page with the word SIREN visible in black ink. It looked the same as it did the
day he got sent back from 2455. He wedged his hand as far under the tank as he
could get, then pulled out the folder he’d been wondering about for half a
year. Instead of opening it instantly,
he ran to the bridge, body slamming into Piott.
“Whoa, Kyle, what’s wrong?” Piott said, looking concerned.
“I found it!” Kyle said excitedly. “I found the file!”
Piott looked confused for a moment, then the penny dropped.
“The SIREN file?” Piott almost shouted, then pulled the file out of
Kyle’s hands and started flipping through it, but stopped. He looked… troubled.
Kyle waited a moment, unsure. “What?”
“This file…” Piott said solemnly, showing it to Kyle, “is half gone.”
Kyle studied it, wondering what was out of place. Then he noticed: in
the corner of each page was a number followed by “of 50”. There were only
twenty-seven pages.
“Where’s the other half?” Kyle asked. Both were silent for a full
four seconds. Then Piott brushed past Kyle and ran toward the utility room.
Kyle followed, watching the commander press a small button on the wall, making
the tank lift up and fold into the wall. None of the other pages were lying on
the floor.
Piott sighed, and called for Doctor Bradley. The doctor walked in,
holding what seemed to be an x-Box 1080 game controller. A small toy helicopter
trailed in after him, supporting Kenny
on a rope tied around his waist. Kenny was holding a rifle, although the energy
gauge was taken out. The two looked for all the world like they were playing
War. Bradley hit a couple joysticks and set Kenny down on the ground.
“What seems to be the problem, Commander?” Bradley asked.
“We found half of the file Kyle came here with,” Piott explained.
“Half? Well, where’s the other half?” Kenny asked, looking bummed
out.
“That’s what I want Bradley to find out,” Piott said. “Run
diagnostics to find out if there are any other papers around the ship. We need
as much of this file as possible.”
“I’m afraid that’s not possible, Commander,” Bradley said.
“Diagnostics don’t pick that kind of thing up. That is, if it’s Earth paper,
which I’m assuming…” he glanced at Kyle, who shrugged. “I guess so. Europa was
still – I mean will still be – argh, this time traveling thing is annoying –
under command of Earth and Luna.”
“We end up commanding Europa?” Piott said, surprised. “That’s
actually a good tactic. I’ll have Susan look into that –”
“Focus!” Kyle reminded him. “You were saying, Bradley?”
“Right,” Bradley continued. “Anyway, diagnostics don’t even have
Earth paper in its search parameters.”
“So you’re saying we’ll have to look for the papers manually?” Piott
looked frustrated.
“Or, we could have my querybots do the manual searching for us,”
Bradley smiled. “It’s actually a pretty ingenious concept,” he said, which
segued into a long speech that the Omniscient Narrator does not care to
recount, reasons being it’s pointless and sort of an embarrassment to his
current word count. We segue a total of ten minutes into the future.
“Yeah yeah, we’ll do that,” Piott said for the dozenth time. “Do we
need to have the ship docked for them to work?”
“No, they’re battery powered with the same technology that Luna runs
on. Like I said earlier –”
“Yeah, we remember,” Kenny cut him short before Bradley could launch
into that again.
“Anyway, get your querybots on this as soon as possible,” Piott
ordered. “We need that file as soon as possible.”
“Right,” Bradley left, the helicopter trailing behind him, dragging
Kenny across the floor. Kenny nodded to Kyle in greeting as he slid by.
“So, what do we do now?” Kyle asked, when the other two were gone.
“Now, we just continue doing what we were going to do. Fly to the conference.”

No comments:
Post a Comment
If you liked this chapter, share this site with your friends! Thanks for reading!